Friday, February 10, 2017

TGIF

I've finished my first work week at Galmi Hospital; so what does a typical day look like?



Get up at 7am, make hot water for instant coffee while getting dressed, eat breakfast while reading a note from home and a daily devotional.

Walk up the path to the hospital therapy room.

Start seeing patients for occupational therapy at 8:15 or whenever they arrive.

Maybe take a break around 10:30 if things have slowed down.

Go home to make lunch at 1pm, maybe take a nap or read or call home. If it's Wed or Fri, buy produce at the stand. If it's Tues or Fri, buy dry goods at the store on the compound.

At 3pm, walk back to work. Make sure all the patients get seen before dinner.

I've met a ton of people this week; Galmi has volunteers from all over the world. I've taught our PT staff, Barnaba and Oumarou, and our OT student, how to do shoulder mobilizations (and had Amy practice on my bad left shoulder...aaaahhhhh). 

My highlight of the week is that we had a young lady graduate from therapy after staying this week to be treated for her postpartum stroke:



I also learned some Hausa, the local language:
Sannu (Hello)
Su nanna Djamila (My name is Djamila--my Hausa name)
Tashi (stand up)
Zamna (sit down)
Kwanta (lie down)
Babu (no)
To (ok)
Zo (come)
Mike (straighten)
Uku (3)
Goma (10)
Chigaba (keep going)
Yowa (great)
Ma dala (wonderful)

I've also discovered Dudu, which is delicious:
Like a yogurt drink.

Today the boy with 75% burns was readmitted to the ICU because he's doing poorly; we visited and prayed with his family. Our youngest amputee is also in ICU getting a transfusion today. Please pray for both of them and for our doctors. 

I'm looking forward to the weekend, playing board games, eating with new friends, maybe visiting town and the tailor, and church. Maybe they'll even fill the pool! 

No comments:

Post a Comment