Monday, February 13, 2017

Peeling potatoes on the porch

It's a Monday. And it's been a long day.

I spent from 8am-6pm (minus my siesta) with 6 moms and 7 kids with a range of disabilities, including malnutrition, HIV, global developmental delay, and cerebral palsy. They will be staying for up to 2 weeks on the hospital compound in order to learn about caring for and interacting with their kids.

One of our hospital staff educates the women about HIV/ AIDS

We spent most of the day assessing each child individually for cognitive, sensory, balance, reflexive, gross motor, fine motor, expressive, auditory and visual function, rating them on developmental milestones. Most need to focus on sitting before we can attempt standing or walking. Please pray for Deb, Amy, Barna, Oumarou and myself as we continue to work with these kids each day; for energy, creativity, positivity, and grace. Please pray that the moms will remain motivated to learn and put into practice what we teach.

Martin came by to wake me up from my nap (don't tell Stormy)

As  soon as I got home to make dinner, the power went out for at least 20 minutes. I channeled my inner Laura Ingalls Wilder and sat on the porch in twilight to peel potatoes. It's only 8:45pm and I'm ready for a shower and bed...maybe I'm turning into a granny out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment