Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Into the darkest season, comes The Light


It's been called "the most wonderful time of the year." And while it is certainly special, this December for me has been especially difficult emotionally. I get very involved in my patients' lives, especially as I treat some of them for several months, and almost all of them have had setbacks this month: whether from illness, rehospitalization, a devastating prognosis, or just general idiopathic decline. One even passed away suddenly. And friends and neighbors are dealing with their own health struggles, loss of beloved pets, and family upheaval. It just seems like no one is very merry nor bright!

Surrounded as I seem to be by grief and sadness, I could be tempted to despair. However, as I am reminded by my favorite movie series (above) and book series (below), darkness allows you to see the light that much more clearly:


My happiness in this season has been found in everyday moments with my family, in a road trip to Minnesota with my college friends, in serving at church, in snuggling with my dog, in playing board games and going to the movies, and in buying Christmas gifts. But these things will pass away. My hope and my joy are found in The Light of the World:


One of my greatest blessings in this season is sharing with my current patients and coworkers that I am moving overseas. Although this means that I must say goodbye to them soon, they have been very encouraging about my new endeavor, and this news has opened up many spiritual conversations as they question my reasons for leaving my family and comfortable suburban life. One patient with chronic pain asked me several theological questions this week, but what she really wanted to know was, "Why is God so mad at me?" I reassured her that her chronic health problems are not a judgement for something she has or hasn't done, pointing her to passages about Paul in the New Testament and Job in the Old. She invited me to come back just to visit after I'm done working with Residential. We will pray together for her upcoming surgery (in late January) to be successful.


Let us be light and love to each other! Have a Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment