Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Back home again

I'm finally back home in Chicago, brrrr!
Stormy is happy to see me.
I was comfy in my own bed and enjoyed making coffee this morning. I spent the rest of the day unpacking and looking at pictures. 

Harrod's in London (my layover)

I hope you can tell from this record that I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in Kenya and Niger. I already miss the warmth, the pool, the chipatis, the chai, the smiles, the scurrying of the lizards, the mangoes, the therapists, the prayer times, and my daily siestas, to name a few.
And I'm grateful to all of you that have joined me on the journey. 
Here is a lovely poem that I read while on the plane home, which captures many of my feelings about that great continent:
"Africa" by Kerry Lovering 
Africa, Africa! 
Delightful land, endearing earth
Over your age-old coasts are sunshine, clouds and gentle breezes
On the other side of the ocean are steep mountain ranges
Immense deserts, rapid rivers
And quiet plains. 
Your greatest beauty is your lovely people:
Fulani, Bariba, Somali, Amhara
And many other tribes
With names that sound like music.
Your people are gifted poets, legendary figures, 
Players of long flutes and round drums, skilful craftsmen
Incomparable are the brass utensils of Benin and silver ornaments of Ethiopia. 
Your enthusiasm and friendliness,
Love for children, bond with your land. 
Jesus has long known of your beauty
In his childhood years he came to your shores
Learning to walk on the sandy road of Egypt. 
Later he left. 
He has returned to you now, no longer a child, 
He is the Savior of the world. 
And because you welcomed and received Jesus
You have become far more beautiful and lovely, 
Manifesting the glorious beauty of the Son in you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment