Saturday, April 14, 2018

Eighteen Inches

In the middle of the river, between Chimney Rock and Bat Cave, NC

Last weekend was awfully rainy in North Carolina, but at least it didn't snow! :) I took the opportunity to drive through the towns of Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, and Bat Cave, which were picturesque mountain towns, on my way to the movie theater in Hendersonville (approx. 1 hour 20 min drive).
Appreciating nature always reminds me of God's creativity, supremacy, and glory, especially in the mountains. It speaks something to my heart. No matter how many books I read, classes I take, or sermons I listen to, most of that (maybe 90%) only connects with my brain, but doesn't fill up the God-shaped hole in my heart (to borrow the phrase from C.S. Lewis). Once in a while, however, there is something that travels from my brain down the eighteen inches to my heart. In today's vernacular, I get all the feels. So I'd say that 80% of what we've been discussing and practicing here at CIT is hitting me in the heart-hole, in the feels.

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." -2 Corinthians 4:7 ...a picture of our treasures!
Here are other things that have finally traveled south eighteen inches and "sunk into" the heart-hole:
  • God has adopted me as a favored child (1 Peter 1:1-5). I learned that after adopting a child, it is much more difficult to disown him/her than to disown your own flesh-and-blood child. This shows me that my relationship with my Father God is rock solid. 
  • The protection of the Lord is multilayered, like a matryoshka doll--better known as Russian nesting dolls (above). Jesus said He is "in the Father," so the largest doll is the Father (John 10:38, 14:11), and the second is Jesus; He advised us to "abide in Him" (John 15:4-5), so we are the third doll, and He promised to send the Holy Spirit to reside in and empower us (John 14:16-17), so the little one is the Spirit that fills us up. What a powerful image! 
Found the Lake Lure Flowering Bridge, a worthwhile stop!




Now I'm on my way home to Chicago, and I look forward to connecting with those who are local before I go overseas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment